After spending 7 years in health care working in the clinical lab, I needed a new path. Jumping into the education realm seemed like a logical fit with my passion for the field. I soon realized after a few residential classes and the new world of online teaching (back in 2007) that I had found my calling. I loved engaging with the students and finding ways to really connect their educational experiences to their future career. Meeting with them in a live virtual classroom allowed me to establish a personal connection to them and integrate a much-needed human element into my online courses. Podcasting allowed me to reach them through voice instruction at a time most convenient for them, and on-the-go!
After seeing success with these strategies in my own classroom, I started working with faculty to assist in their efforts to integrate various voice tools and mobile teaching strategies to reach online students. This partnership stemmed into a new role with Rasmussen as the Hybrid Classroom Manager. I split my time between faculty training initiatives and work with School Deans in an effort to create a blended learning environment focused on student outcomes. I sit in the Office of Curriculum & Instruction in an effort to serve all areas of the organizations.
My professional interests lie finding the right mix of face2face (whether on-campus or through a webcam) and online instructional activities to create an optimal learning environment for a given course. I truly love my job!
- Masters of Health Administration, St. Joseph’s University, 2012
- B.S., Medical Technology, Ohio Northern University, 2003
- B.S., Biology, Ohio Northern University, 2002
- Zink, H. (2010, July). Connecting with e-Learners through podcasting. eLearn Magazine, 2010(7). doi: 10.1145/1833513.1837144 Permalink: http://elearnmag.acm.org/featured.cfm?aid=1837144
- Interview Series: Hybrid Classroom Expert Heather Zink. http://www.collegeonline.org/blog/interview-series-hybrid-classroom-expert-heather-zink.html